Some common practice summerized from other great tools.
last update: 2014-09-08
The name should be descriptive and easy to remember.
Use option parser library to parse them. Long-named option is recommended to make them readable.
Some necessary options
- –help Print introduction, usage and examples.
- –version Version is needed!
- –verbose Print additional information.
- -t Number of threads (concurrency).
- Input. Better to support reading from standard input (stdin). If not, first argument could be the input file.
- Output. Result could be printed to standard output (stdout) or saved to file specified by option -o . For better use in pipe, information, warning and error should be printed to stdout.
- Both input and output should support dealing with archive file, e.g., gzip.
- Use sub-command for different functions.
- Multiple threads or concurrency (golang etc.) should be supported.
To be continued …